Friday, September 12, 2008

Week 13 - Clayton’s Mexican Take-Out

Clayton’s Mexican Take-Out
Coronado - on Orange at 10th

Eater #1 - Shredded Beef Taco, Nachos
The place was tiny - just a little more than a walkup and order. I was impressed by the look of the produce, one of the cooks carried a load of fresh cilantro and onions through from a side door... and the smell of the cooking carne asada was pretty damn good. The tacos were OK, greasy and the beef was a wet lump in the bottom of the shell, but the lettuce and tomatoes were nice. The nachos were simply cheddar and chips, exactly what I wanted.
Good salsa - the red was pretty thick & spicy and the green was perfect - a little spice and alot of tomatillo flavor.
The fact that they only take a card if you spend $7 or more was a pain in the ass.
I'll probably go back, but only if I find myself starving after messing around with my kids at East Park.
Eater #2 - MIA
Eater #5 - Carne asada taco, rice.
Mexican Take Out was a cute little "to go" taco shop. It was in the middle of beautiful Coronado and since it's not a sit down restaurant, you are forced to eat at the park, on a bench or at the beach & enjoy the scenery. The carne asada taco was huge and full of flavor. The side of rice was the smallest side of rice I've ever seen, but it was good. I would definitely eat there again if I was in the area, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there again.
Eater #7 Chicken rolled tacos and guacamole
Atmosphere: Place your order at the door, take a step to the left and your food will be handed to you ... well, maybe 5-10 minutes later. It's purely a take-out joint, so don't plan on eating and dining ... but there's a park down a few blocks.
Food: For how long it took to make the tacos, I'm not sure I was completely impressed. But they were rolled tacos ... how impressed should I be? They were topped with chopped tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, and guacamole. The cheese was not melted. And the tomatoes might as well not have been on the tacos. Filled w/ shredded chicken ... but it wasn't overflowing. Guacamole was ok.
But the hot sauce was probably the tastiest part of the whole meal.

No comments: