Friday, August 29, 2008

Week 12 - Las Cuatro Milpas

Las Cuatro Milpas
Barrio Logan - Near Chicano Park.

Eater #1 - Taco, rolled tacos and a tortilla (plus a couple of stolen bites off eater #4's beans)
My buddy Mike would bring us takeout from Las Cuatro Milpas every once in a while. It’s been a few years now since I worked with him, and I had forgotten how damn good the tortillas and beans are there. This is the real shit man – tortillas and beans made with lard and love the way my mom and grandma used to make ‘em.

I had never eaten in the restaurant, though. There was a line – but while waiting you get to peek in the window and get a pre-view of what’s cooking. The self-service water from the little sink in the back was a nice touch.

The rolled tacos were nice and fat, slathered in Mexican cream and cotija cheese, the salsa was really spicy and flavorful… but I can’t get over the tortillas. Thick, hot and oh so good… I could have just had those for lunch, maybe with a little butter.

It was worth the wait.


Eater #2 - 3 Pork tacos, rice and beans, tortillas
Taco Friday Haiku
Three pork tacos beans
Could not eat all beans, tacos yes
Tasty the food was.

Eater #3 - MIA in the OC


Eater #4 - Chicken taco, rice and beans, tortillas
LOVE the atmosphere and the smiling faces. I stepped a bit out of my comfort zone as I stepped into this run-down establishment hidden in Barrio Logan. Actually we had to wait in the line that stretched from the entrance down the sidewalk first. I instantly felt at ease when the woman behind the counter greeted me with a smile and took my order. Even though there was a language barrier, I ordered my chicken taco, rice & beans, and diet coke without a hitch. The chicken was yummy and moist, the rice very authentic and the servings were huge and wonderfully priced. BEST tortillas I've ever had. I'd go back again, worth the wait.


Eater #5 - Rice and brans, tortillas
Las Cuatro Milpas is a great Mexican Food Restaurant. The location is in a rough area of town, but the staff was friendly and eager to get you to your table with yummy food. I ordered a side of beans and rice. The beans were tasty, but the rice was a little dry. I loved the 'home made' tortillas.

No comments: