Friday, February 8, 2008

Week 1 – Lucha Libre Taco Shop

Lucha Libre Taco Shop
Bottom of the hill on Washington, across from Gelato Vera
http://www.tacosmackdown.com/
-map-

Eater #1: TJ Hotdog, Adobado Taco and a taste of the Champion Nachos. Horchata.
The TJ ‘dog was killer. I haven’t had one since I was an under-age punk partying in Tijuana. There is nothing better than a hotdog wrapped in bacon smothered in grilled onions and bell peppers. Lucha Libre makes their own pineapple salsa and the the adobado taco had some on it – really tasty. The carne asada in the Champion Nachos was perfect. Nice strips of grilled beef, seasoned just right. Good beans, too.

The atmosphere was cool – pink walls, the chairs have lucha libre masks in the upholstery. The owner said that they will have a liquor license soon – I’m betting that this place will rock at night.

Eater #2: TJ Hotdog, Carne Asada Taco.
As the medley of flavors from hot dog, bacon, peppers, and onions, combined with carne asada and guacamole, prance beautifully around my mouth from my most recent burp, I can’t help but think: “I ate a TJ dog hours ago and I don’t have the brown pee?” All I have to add is if Lucha gets a liquor license and I can order a bucket of beer, I won’t be waiting in the San Ysidro border line anymore to get my taco fix. Nice performance Lucha Libre, 3.5 puntos de tacos. God save the Queen.

Eater #3: Chicken and vegetable taco, carne asada fries

Atmosphere: A small little spot, but great décor. Very kitschy with the wrestling masks in all the seats, bright pink walls, and the 70’s lucha libre movies playing in the background.

Food: Chicken and vegetable taco, it had some clever name that I forget at this point. It was a good sized taco, and I was able to successfully transfer half of the contents onto the second tortilla and have two tacos. The veggies were grilled and very fresh. They made two of the best tacos I’ve had in recent memory.
They have a jammin salsa bar, with normal mild and hot, a sweet pineapple, and a few others that you just have to test out and try.
I mooched some carne asada from a friend’s carne asada fries and that was some of the best carne asada I have ever had. It was tender and juicy and seasoned to perfection.

Overall: This is a brand new restaurant and I think everyone should patron it because I really hope that they make it. Great spot!

No comments: